Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Letter From A Dick

Dear Doris;

You won't believe how my heart sank when I saw that I had missed you. I'm just back from the Peace Corps orientation meeting and I have to say that I would have loved a friendly, God-fearing voice to bolt up my spirits. Oh, well. I guess it's the fates against me once again.

I'm planning to go to the Civil Rights March in Washington in a few weeks before I head off to help the natives dig wells in the Belgian Congo. A Reverend King is to be one of the keynote speakers and I'm read some of his speeches and I suspect he will take the throng. I hope that I don't offend any of my Negro brothers with my enthusiastic support.

Well, off I go to polish my shoes for tomorrow. I hope that we shall meet again. My passion for you, I am ashamed to say, has turned away from the purely spiritual and I hope I can restrain myself from mis-speaking. If I do, kindly understand and forgive me?

My very best,

Dick Wannamaker, III