Thursday, October 8, 2009

Couldn't Let Good Enough Be Upstanding

Saw this:
Wrote this:

Dear Mr. Xxxx;

Although you're likely not the correct individual to contact regarding what follows, I thought I'd like to contact Mead regarding the following text in the description of PaxPro:

"We know that the over-reaching goal is . . . "

To over-reach means to attempt to grasp what's beyond one's likely grasp and to fail, just. I believe the copy would be more correct with the phrase "over-arching."

I hope this is helpful.

Your friend in grammar,

Dr. X

And yes, readers, I know my own writing is odd and stilted in this letter, but perhaps Mr. Xxxx in Sales will laugh this all the way up the ladder until someone says, "You know, he's right. That's wrong." And then they'll fix it, as a multi-billion dollar company should. Shameful. Shameful, indeed.